Mar 10, 2006

Flattery, will out.

IMG_0283.jpg


So, I’ve been doing the Flickr thing quite a bit. I put everything I shoot up on the site regardless of whether or not it’s the perfect picture. Consequently, there are as many failures displayed as successes. I think it’s the way it should be. The flickr thing (the photography) is an experiment for me more than anything else, an experiment and an outlet.

I enjoy recording the things I see in the world around me during the course of the day. The world is such a beautiful place and I feel we are often exposed to that beauty if only we take the time out to look for it.

I live very close to one of the planet’s most notable and large cities. Often, I take that city for granted having grown to know it so intimately through the years. Still, even though I may take the city for granted, the love affair has been simmering for a long time and a deep seated passion exists within me for New York.

New York is a funny place because New York is much like a person. Each of us are many different people, depending who we are interacting with at the moment. New York is similar in this way, it is many things depending upon the viewer. While beauty in the landmarks and the incredible architecture is apparent, the ugliness of poverty and street life inherent in big cities is also in abundance.

So, the other day I had a picture picked as a favorite by someone. Shortly afterward a few more pictures were picked as faves by someone else and I would be lying (sp?) if I were to say I wasn’t incredibly flattered and didn’t get a bit of a boost from the selection. Yes, I am as susceptible to praise as the rest of the world, I guess.

No comments: